Founded in 1968, the American Academy of PAs is the national professional society for PAs. It represents a profession of over 108,500 certified PAs across all medical and surgical specialties in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, U.S. territories and the uniformed services.
AAPA advocates and educates on behalf of the profession and the patients PAs serve. We work to ensure the professional growth, personal excellence and recognition of PAs. We also enhance their ability to improve the quality, accessibility and cost-effectiveness of patient-centered healthcare.
AAPA's Strategic Plan 2016–2020
AAPA developed a bold new strategic plan that will guide AAPA’s work through 2020. Through four key commitments in this dynamic plan, AAPA will focus on effectively positioning PAs to navigate the shifting healthcare landscape, ensuring that they can continue to deliver quality patient care into the future.
Download AAPA's Strategic Plan 2016–2020 (PDF).
PA Vision 2020: AAPA Strategic Plan 2016-2020
AAPA is in the process of developing a new strategic plan—PA Vision 2020—that will guide AAPA and the PA profession through 2020. Our strategic planning white paper summarizes the four key trends that we believe will have the most impact on PA practice and healthcare through 2020. We encourage all PAs to provide feedback.
To read more about the future of healthcare, read AAPA’s Strategic Planning White Paper.
PAs transforming health through patient-centered, team-based medical practice.
AAPA leads the profession and empowers our members to advance their careers and enhance patient health.
- Leadership and Service: We inspire a shared vision to lead the profession, emphasize service to our members and enhance the ability of PAs to serve patients and their communities.
- Unity and Teamwork: We embrace the strength of our members and constituent and partner organizations to speak with one voice for the profession and work together to transform health.
- Accountability and Transparency: We listen, deliver results, take ownership for our actions and operate in an environment of openness and trust.
- Excellence and Equity: We commit to the highest standards and seek to eliminate disparities and barriers to quality healthcare.
Our strategic commitments to the PA profession in partnership with our constituent organizations
- Foster PA Excellence: We will promote and facilitate PA excellence through integrated professional development and coordinated advocacy.
- Optimize PA Practice: We will identify, evaluate and promote best practice models that increase PA impact on health, maximize PA value and enhance PA satisfaction.
- Grow the PA Profession: We will work to elevate PA roles, recognition and respect, and support increasing the number and diversity of PAs.