June 2, 2020
American Academy of PAs Announces 2020 Individual Excellence Award Recipients
Contact: Jenni Roberson, 703.380.2764
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (April 27, 2020)– The American Academy of PAs (AAPA) is pleased to announce its annual awards to PAs (physician assistants) who have distinguished themselves in service to their patients and their communities, and who have been dedicated advocates for the PA profession.
“This year’s award recipients are wonderful representatives of the PA profession, and we are incredibly proud of their accomplishments,” said David E. Mittman, PA, DFAAPA, president and chair of the AAPA Board of Directors. “At a time like this, we all need good news – and the selection of these amazing PAs is something we should all be proud of. Congratulations to all of our deserving award recipients.”
The 2020 Individual Excellence Award recipients are:
- PA of the Year Award – Nicole Dettmann, DSc, MPH, PA-C – Sudbury, Massachusetts
- PA Student of the Year Award – Delilah Dylan Dominguez – North Haven, Connecticut
- Military Service Award – Richard A. Villarreal, PhD, PA-C – San Antonio, Texas
- AAPA/PAEA Preceptor of the Year Award – Kurtis A. Manley, PA-C, DFAAPA – Kingman, Arizona
- Outstanding Student Society – Case Western Reserve University Charles L. Hudson Society – Cleveland, Ohio
- Eugene A. Stead Jr. Lifetime Achievement Award – Paul Lombardo, MPS-HSA, PA-C Emeritus, DFAAPA – Holtsville, New York
The Eugene A. Stead Jr. Lifetime Achievement Award is AAPA’s most prestigious and honors a lifetime of achievement that has a broad and significant impact on the PA profession. 2020 recipient PA Lombardo has previously served as president of AAPA, the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA), the Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA), the PA Foundation (PAF), and the New York State Society of PAs (NYSSPA).
The PA of the Year Award honors a PA who, within the course of a one-year period, demonstrates exemplary service to the community; exemplifies the PA profession’s philosophy of providing accessible, quality healthcare to all; and furthers the image of the profession in a positive, meaningful way. PA Dettmann, the 2020 PA of the Year, has volunteered with the Foundación de Salud del Rio Beni in the Northwestern Amazon Basin of Bolivia for more than 20 years.
To learn more about the recipients, visit aapa.org.
About the American Academy of PAs
AAPA is the national membership organization for all PAs. PAs are medical professionals who diagnose illness, develop and manage treatment plans, prescribe medications, and often serve as a patient’s principal healthcare provider. Learn more about the profession at aapa.org and engage through Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter.