For Immediate Release:
Contact: Jenni Roberson, 703.380.2764
AAPA Announces 2020-2021 Employers of Excellence
Award Recognizes Organizations That Create Exceptional Work Environments for PAs
ALEXANDRIA (August 17, 2020) – The American Academy of PAs (AAPA) is pleased to announce the 2020-2021 Employers of Excellence. The award program is designed to showcase organizations that have recognized the value PAs bring to healthcare teams by creating and maintaining opportunities for PA leadership and professional growth. The program is the first and only PA-specific award program available to organizations.
“With all the challenges 2020 has brought for the healthcare industry and the patients we serve, it’s even more important this year to commend the organizations who have empowered their PA workforce, despite the disruptions of the pandemic ,” said AAPA President and Chair of the Board Beth R. Smolko, DMSc, MMS, PA-C.
“AAPA congratulates the 2020-2021 Employers of Excellence and thanks them for all they do to create an environment that allows PAs to deliver high quality care commensurate with their extensive education and experience.”
The 2020-2021 winners are the following:
- ApolloMD – Atlanta, Georgia
- Atrium Health – Charlotte, North Carolina
- Brigham Health – Brigham and Women’s Hospital – Boston, Massachusetts
- Cleveland Clinic – Cleveland, Ohio
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute – Boston, Massachusetts
- Intermountain Healthcare – Salt Lake City, Utah
- Medical College of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Northwell Health – Manhasset, New York
- Northwestern Medicine, Central Region – Chicago, Illinois
- NYU Langone Health – New York, New York
- Penn State Health – Hershey, Pennsylvania
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics – Iowa City, Iowa
- University of Rochester Medical Center – Rochester, New York
- UPMC – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- UT Southwestern Medical Center – Dallas, Texas
- Wake Forest Baptist Health – Winston-Salem, North Carolina
To determine the criteria for recognition, AAPA’s Center for Healthcare Leadership and Management partnered with HealthStream to gain an understanding of what PAs value in their place of employment. Based on the survey findings, criteria for the EOE Awards focuses on the following five key drivers:
- Establishing a positive and supportive PA work environment.
- Providing opportunities for PAs to provide meaningful input that leads to positive organizational change.
- Keeping PAs informed about organizational activity and decisions.
- Involving PAs in leadership efforts to improve the quality of patient care.
- Creating processes for effective conflict management.
Awardees will retain their designation as an Employer of Excellence for two years and then must reapply to maintain the designation. Any organization in the United States that employs at least 10 PAs was eligible to apply for the award.
PAs are medical providers who diagnose illness, develop and manage treatment plans, prescribe medications, and often serve as a patient’s principal healthcare provider. With thousands of hours of medical training, PAs are versatile and collaborative. PAs practice in every medical setting and specialty, improving healthcare access and quality. Currently, there are more than 140,000 PAs practicing in all 50 states, D.C., and U.S. territories.
About the American Academy of PAs
AAPA is the national membership organization for all PAs. PAs are medical professionals who diagnose illness, develop and manage treatment plans, prescribe medications, and often serve as a patient’s principal healthcare provider. Learn more about the profession at aapa.org and engage through Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter.