The 2020 Nominating Work Group (NWG) election will be held during the virtual House of Delegates (HOD) meeting on November 20. Two (2) positions on the NWG will be filled.
The deadline for AAPA members to pre-declare their candidacy for NWG has passed. The Governance Commission Chair will be accepting nominations from the floor of the House of Delegates on November 20. The platform statements and CVs of eligible candidates will be posted for delegates to review prior to voting.
Background about the NWG, including eligibility criteria, can be referenced below. Candidacy is open to all fellow members of AAPA and are not limited to members of the HOD. However, only HOD delegates will vote to elect these work group members.
Please review the process and deadline information provided below carefully. If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
What is the Nominating Work Group?
AAPA Bylaws, Article XI, Section 1
The Nominating Work Group shall carry out such duties and responsibilities as (1) are set forth in the Bylaws; and (2) are established by the Board of Directors in accordance with Article X, Section 2, subject to the approval of the House of Delegates. Such duties and responsibilities shall include:
- Annually evaluate the environment and recommend to the Governance Commission any skills, capabilities or other characteristics that will support a diverse and high-performing Board of Directors.
- Support communication and education efforts to inform all members of elected
leadership opportunities and how to qualify for those positions.
- Identify and recruit qualified members and encourage a broad slate of candidates to run for elected positions within AAPA.
- Evaluating all candidates seeking nomination according to the qualification criteria set forth in the Bylaws and according to such other selection guidelines as may be established by the Board of Directors.
- Endorsing a single or multiple slate of candidates for each nominated position.
AAPA Bylaws, Article XI, Section 2
The Nominating Work Group is composed of seven (7) members of which five (5) are elected by plurality vote at the House of Delegates annual meeting. Two members are appointed by the Board of Directors. Nominating Work Group candidates should pre-declare their candidacy; however, write-in candidates, and nominations and self-declarations from the House floor will be accepted at the time of elections.
Eligibility and Qualifications
AAPA Bylaws, Article XI, Section 3
Eligibility and Qualifications. Nominating Work Group members may not run for any of the positions they are evaluating for the upcoming election. Additionally:
- A candidate must be a fellow member of AAPA.
- A candidate must have been an AAPA fellow member and/or student member for the last three years.
- A candidate must have accumulated at least three distinct years of recognized leadership experience in the past five years through service to the AAPA; an AAPA constituent organization; an AAPA affiliated organization; and/or a healthcare-related professional or community organization. Examples include, but are not limited to: service in the AAPA House of Delegates; the PA Foundation; PAEA; a local hospice support organization; a hospital board.
- Recognized leadership experience must be earned in, at least, two major areas of professional involvement.
- Recognized leadership experience includes a board member or organization officer; an elected or appointed representative; or a chair of a commission, committee, work group or task force.
- Any calendar year or Academy year in which the candidate served in more than one area of professional involvement shall be counted as one distinct year of experience.
- With the exception of the Board-appointed members, a Nominating Work Group member cannot hold any other elected office or commission or work group position in AAPA during the time of service on the Nominating Work Group.
Who is Eligible to Vote?
Per Article XI, Section 2, five (5) members of the NWG are elected by plurality vote at the House of Delegates annual meeting. Two members are appointed by the Board of Directors. Nominating Work Group candidates are strongly encouraged to pre-declare their candidacy. Write-in candidates, and nominations and self-declarations from the House floor will be accepted at the time of elections.
HOD Standing Rules
Per SR-2625, “The voting membership of the House of Delegates shall consist of delegates present at the time of elections who are apportioned and eligible to vote.”