Thank you for your interest in applying to serve on the Nominating Work Group (NWG). Due to Bylaws and policy provisions which allow NWG candidates to declare from the floor of the House of Delegates (HOD), NWG elections will be postponed until the next in-person HOD meeting, November 20-22, 2020.
The Governance Commission anticipates that the delay will not negatively impact the work of the 2020-21 NWG, as they historically commence their work in the late fall/early winter months. Additionally, the postponement will not directly impact any candidates as there have been no applications received for open positions on the NWG as of April 3, 2020.
A call for NWG applications with further details will be issued in the late summer or early fall.
What is the Nominating Work Group?
AAPA Bylaws, Article XI, Section 2
The Nominating Work Group is composed of seven (7) members of which five (5) are elected by plurality vote at the House of Delegates annual meeting. Two members are appointed by the Board of Directors. Nominating Work Group candidates should pre-declare their candidacy; however, write-in candidates, and nominations and self-declarations from the House floor will be accepted at the time of elections.
Eligibility and Qualifications
AAPA Bylaws, Article XI, Section 3
Eligibility and Qualifications. Nominating Work Group members may not run for any of the positions they are evaluating for the upcoming election. Additionally:
- A candidate must be a fellow member of AAPA.
- A candidate must have been an AAPA fellow member and/or student member for the last three years.
- A candidate must have accumulated at least three distinct years of recognized leadership experience in the past five years through service to the AAPA; an AAPA constituent organization; an AAPA affiliated organization; and/or a healthcare-related professional or community organization. Examples include, but are not limited to: service in the AAPA House of Delegates; the PA Foundation; PAEA; a local hospice support organization; a hospital board.
- Recognized leadership experience must be earned in, at least, two major areas of professional involvement.
- Recognized leadership experience includes a board member or organization officer; an elected or appointed representative; or a chair of a commission, committee, work group or task force.
- Any calendar year or Academy year in which the candidate served in more than one area of professional involvement shall be counted as one distinct year of experience.
- With the exception of the Board-appointed members, a Nominating Work Group member cannot hold any other elected office or commission or work group position in AAPA during the time of service on the Nominating Work Group.
Who is Eligible to Vote?
Per Article XI, Section 2, “The Nominating Work Group is composed of seven (7) members of which five (5) are elected by plurality vote at the House of Delegates annual meeting. Two members are appointed by the Board of Directors. Nominating Work Group candidates should pre-declare their candidacy; however, write-in candidates, and nominations and self-declarations from the House floor will be accepted at the time of elections.”
HOD Standing Rules
Per SR-2625, “The voting membership of the House of Delegates shall consist of delegates present at the time of elections who are apportioned and eligible to vote.”