The Nominating Work Group Election was conducted on May 20, 2023 during the 2023 AAPA House of Delegates Virtual Meeting. The results are in!
What is the Nominating Work Group?
In accordance with the AAPA Bylaws, Article XI, Section 2, the Nominating Work Group is composed of seven members, of which five are elected by plurality vote at the House of Delegates annual meeting. Two members are appointed by the Board of Directors. Nominating Work Group candidates should pre-declare their candidacy; however, write-in candidates and nominations and self-declarations from the House floor will be accepted at the time of elections.
The NWG is charged by the AAPA Bylaws (Article XI, Section 1) with the following responsibilities:
- Annually evaluate the environment and recommend to the Governance Commission any skills, capabilities, or other characteristics that will support a diverse and high-performing Board of Directors.
- Support communication and education efforts to inform all members of elected leadership opportunities and how to qualify for those positions.
- Identify and recruit qualified members and encourage a broad slate of candidates to run for elected positions within AAPA.
- Evaluate all candidates seeking nomination according to the qualification criteria set forth in these Bylaws and according to such other selection guidelines, as may be established by the Board of Directors.
- Endorse a single or multiple slate of candidates for each nominated position.
Open Positions, Terms and Descriptions
There are two open positions on the NWG; both are two-year terms beginning on July 1, 2023.
- NWG members work together to identify and recruit qualified members to run for elected offices on the AAPA Board of Directors.
- The NWG identifies board member competencies to inform how candidates are evaluated for possible endorsement.
- All members are expected to participate in meetings and engage in activities that support the charges of this work group.
Eligibility and Qualifications
In accordance with the AAPA Bylaws, Article XI, Section 3, Nominating Work Group members may not run for any of the positions they are evaluating for the upcoming election. Additionally:
- A candidate must be a fellow member of AAPA.
- A candidate must have been an AAPA fellow member and/or student member for the last three years.
- A candidate must have accumulated at least three distinct years of recognized leadership experience in the past five years through service to AAPA; an AAPA constituent organization; an AAPA affiliated organization, and/or a healthcare-related professional or community organization. (Examples include but are not limited to service in the AAPA House of Delegates; the PA Foundation; PAEA; a local hospice support organization, and/or a hospital board.)
- Recognized leadership experience must be earned in at least two major areas of professional involvement.
- Recognized leadership experience includes a board member or organization officer; an elected or appointed representative; or a chair of a commission, committee, work group, or task force.
Any calendar year or Academy year in which the candidate served in more than one area of professional involvement shall be counted as one distinct year of experience.
- With the exception of the Board-appointed members, a NWG member cannot hold any other elected office or commission or work group position in AAPA during their time of service.
2023 Nominating Work Group Election Timeline
|March 3||Candidate applications open|
|March 31||Deadline for candidate application submission to predeclare for a position.|
|April 20||Announcement of the slate of candidates.|
|May 5||Date eligible voters (Delegates) in the HOD Elections need to be current fellow/student members and credentialed.|
|May 19||NWG Candidates may declare from the floor at a specified time during the House of Delegates morning session.|
|May 21||HOD election results announced|
|July 1||2023-24 AAPA leadership year begins|
NWG Meetings Schedule
The NWG meets by conference call periodically throughout the year. The bulk of the NWG’s work is completed between Jan. and May to coincide with the annual election cycle. The staff advisor to the NWG will be in touch early in the leadership year to begin scheduling and planning.
Who is Eligible to Vote?
Eligible HOD delegates who have current fellow or student membership and are recognized as voting credentialed delegates as of May 5 will receive a ballot during the HOD meeting to vote for the NWG and House Officers.