New CO Endorsement Guidelines for 2019 Elections
Dear CO Leaders,
The AAPA Governance Commission has issued new guidelines for COs who may want to endorse a candidate running in the 2019 AAPA election. The 2019 election endorsement guidelines are designed to improve transparency and parity, and ensure organizational endorsements support a professional election process. As trusted leaders within the Academy and partners in good governance, I am requesting that COs take a leadership role in adopting these new guidelines and making the information readily available to their members.
The guidelines address general professionalism and courtesy. They also communicate expectations to ensure candidates and voters understand the endorsement process. The Governance Commission believes that these new elements support the value of COs endorsement by visibly demonstrating the integrity of the endorsement decision.
The guidelines are as follows:
- An endorsement should focus on the positive attributes of the candidate; not the shortcomings of other candidates. Endorsements should never attack.
- Endorsements are informational; they should not incentivize or pressure members into action.
- COs that endorse candidates should have defined criteria for endorsement.
- Criteria for endorsement should be made publicly available. Ideally, the criteria should be posted on the CO’s website, but should also be made available upon request.
- Any written, printed or electronic communication regarding the endorsement of a candidate should include the criteria itself or language that articulates where the reader may view the criteria.
- Any written, printed or electronic communication regarding the endorsement of a candidate should either contain the CO logo or the signature of a CO-designated spokesperson.
The new guidelines are just one piece of the Governance Commission’s board-charged comprehensive review of all AAPA election procedures. You can find additional information about the changes to the 2019 AAPA election cycle on www.aapa.org/elections. If you have any questions about the new CO endorsement guidelines, please feel free to reach out to me a a[email protected].
Dennis Rivenburgh, ATC, PA-C, DFAAPA
Chair, AAPA Governance Commission