National PA Week takes place each year from Oct. 6–12 to celebrate the profession and its contributions to the nation’s health. Before it was a weeklong event, National PA Day was first celebrated on October 6, 1987, in honor of the 20th anniversary of the first graduating class of PAs from the Duke University PA program. October 6 is also the birthday of the profession’s founder, Eugene A. Stead, Jr., MD. For more on the profession’s history, visit the
PA History Society.
America’s more than 100,000 certified PAs are a powerful force for better health for millions of patients across the country. Consistently recognized as one of the fastest-growing professions, PAs were ranked the most promising job of 2015 by Forbes.com.
Because of PAs, the healthcare system is stronger. Because of PAs, more patients get access to high-quality, cost-effective care. Because of PAs, we celebrate National PA Week!
A PA practices medicine and prescribes medication on healthcare teams with physicians and other healthcare providers. PAs are proven to create access, elevate health outcomes and increase patient satisfaction.
The more than 100,000 certified PAs around the country can be found in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, the majority of the U.S. territories and the uniformed services.
AAPA has everything you need to make this PA Week the biggest yet! Use our PA-centric gear to help you spread awareness about your profession. Hang up PA Week posters or hand out brochures to your employer, family, friends and patients. Share our 'What is a PA?' video on social media, sponsor a local health event, and more.
Want to print brochures or posters? You’ve got two options! Click on them to download and print for free OR
purchase professionally printed resources, with an option to co-brand, using username: paweek and password: aapa.
in this year's #PAweek Photo Challenge where you can when a grand prize!
Download this stamp
and use it as your profile picture from Oct. 6-12 this year!
Download your state stamp
that you like best and use that as your profile picture from Oct. 6-12 this year!
Download and share this fun, informative visual resource addressing common myths of the PA profession and educate the public about all PAs do!
Download your Uniformed Services stamp and use that as your profile picture from Oct. 6-12 this year!
Use this video
in your practice or on social media to spread awareness about your profession. Also,
PA Week can also be a time to connect with other medical providers, researchers or administrators and increase your professional network.
to plan a networking event!
PA Week is a great time to
talk to your local media
about highlighting how PAs practice medicine or the valuable roles PAs play in delivering high-quality healthcare.
Sample press release for PA employers
Photo source: Flickr:
You may want to co-sponsor this event with a larger institution such as a hospital, health club or community center to share expenses and responsibilities.
about who PAs are, how they work with patients and how to become one. You never know: The event might be an inspiration to someone in attendance.
One of the most effective ways to reach the public to get your opinion heard is to have your thoughts published in the newspaper by writing an
op-ed or a letter to the editor.
This could be a reading hour that emphasizes health at a library, or a fitness test at a YMCA or community center. Encouraging healthy, active lifestyles among youth shows that PAs are ambassadors of quality healthcare.
To participate in the #PAweek Photo Challenge, simply follow
these rules and
post photos each day that follow the daily themes.
Here’s how to do it:
AAPA will award a grand prize of a $250 gift card to a lucky person who participates every day during the Photo Challenge!
The contest runs from Oct. 6 - Oct. 12. Winners will be announced the week after PA Week.
and participating in the #PAweek Photo Challenge, you agree to the Official Rules, shown below.
Here are sample Twitter messages. Remember to use the hashtag #PAWeek to help get us trending on Twitter!
If you need to shorten a URL to include it in a Tweet, you can use this website:
While Twitter lets you use 140 characters, we recommend 120 characters or less to allow room for a shortened URL, the hashtag #PAWeek and for the audience to retweet (re-share) your message.
Sample Facebook ideas and posts
You can also post the PA Week poster of your choice to your timeline and tag all the PAs and PA students that you know.
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Contest begins on 12:01AM EST October 6, 2015 and ends on October 12, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The AAPA #PAweek Photo Challenge ("Contest") is open to legal residents of the U.S., of whom are PAs or PA Students. AAPA membership not required. Entries not meeting all of the requirements stated herein will be disqualified and ineligible. All federal, state and local rules and regulations apply.
3. RULES: Submissions must be posted via Instagram and Facebook. On Instagram, submissions must tag @AAPAOrg and include "#PAweek" to be eligible to win. On Facebook, submissions must be posted to the AAPA Facebook Page and include #PAweek. Submissions must be original and submitted by a PA or PA student. Entrant is to take photos with the contest sign and follow daily themes. Find sign here: https://www.aapa.org/PAWeek/
4. ENTRIES: By downloading this poster and following the guidelines set forth on this page, participants are considered entered into the Contest. Images are to be posted via Instagram and Facebook. Daily photo guidelines are posted on one or more of the above weblinks. PHOTOS CONTAINING HIPAA VIOLATIONS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ENTRY. The entries must be submitted between 12:01AM EST October 6, 2015 and October 12, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST. ("Contest Entry Period"). Proof of posting will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. Should multiple users of the same e-mail account enter the Contest and a dispute thereafter arises regarding the identity of the entrant, the authorized subscriber of the e-mail account at the time of entry will be considered the entrant. Authorized account subscriber is defined as the natural person who is assigned an e-mail address by an internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization which is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses or the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Any use of robotic, automatic, programmed or like means to enter the Contest will void all entries affected by such methods. Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for unauthorized human intervention, phone, technical, network, electronic, computer, hardware or software failures, malfunctions or disconnects of any kind, or misdirected, illegible, incomplete, stolen, garbled, fragmented or delayed internet/e-mail computer transmissions or network/ISP/website internet accessibility; or for inaccurate, incorrect or incomplete capture of entry information. Sponsor reserves the right to eliminate any entry that does not adhere to the terms and conditions of these Official Rules at Sponsor's sole discretion and any such entry may be disqualified.
5. GUIDELINES & CONTEST ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: A Contest entry must follow HIPAA laws and must not contain, show, mention, refer or otherwise allude to any inappropriate use of AAPA brand or PA image. It may not refer or otherwise allude to any sexually explicit or suggestive, obscene, lewd, violent, illegal, offensive, disparaging or inappropriate words, abbreviations, language, signs, products, symbols, political, personal and/or religious references or statements, (including but not limited to words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group); must not promote any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message; cannot contain any personal identification, such as license plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses, without permission; cannot contain copyrighted materials owned by others (including photographs, sculptures, paintings and other works of art or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media) without permission; cannot contain materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person, living or dead, without permission; and cannot depict, and cannot itself, be in violation of any law and must otherwise be in compliance with these Official Rules.
6. JUDGING AND WINNER NOTIFICATION: All entries will be judged by AAPA staff or its designee ("Contest Judge"), whose decisions are final on all matters relating to the Contest. Up to eight (8) entries will be selected based on Contest Judge's opinion of the creativity and originality of the photo, and adherence to contest guidelines. The potential winners will be notified through their email account provided at time of RSVP. The potential winners will be required to provide their full name, mailing address, email address, age, phone number, and complete and sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Right Releases ("Affidavit"), and an assignment of all rights concerning their entry, including copyrights. Affidavit must be received by Sponsor within five (5) days of notification. Return of any prize notification or prize as undeliverable will result in disqualification and possible selection of an alternate winner. If a potential winner cannot be contacted at the email address provided at the time of entry, is contacted and does not respond as directed within time noted, refuses the prize or is ineligible to accept the prize, the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate winner. The prize claimed in accordance with the Official Rules will be awarded. An entrant is not a winner unless and until the entrant's eligibility and the winning entry have been verified and entrant has been notified that verification is complete. The winning entries will be verified by Sponsor, whose decisions to the administration and operation of the Contest and the selection and validation of winner is final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Use of a false email account or an incorrect mail address will disqualify an entry.
7. PRIZES: Entrant submits photos daily according to photo clues week one 10/6-10/12 will be entered to win a gift card purchased by AAPA of $250. Participation only guarantees participant has entered contest. Winner will be selected randomly among qualifying participants. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize in whole or in part with another prize of comparable or greater value if the intended prize is not available for any reason as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion.
8. GENERAL: By entering your photo into this Contest, entrant verifies that all HIPAA laws were abided by; consent was received by patients, family or other participant. Entrant agrees to (i) release to AAPA for the possible inclusion in future AAPA marketing materials; (ii) entrant agrees (a) that Sponsor has the right to use the entry, photos, including entrant's first and last name and hometown, in part or whole, with or without modifications, on the Internet, and in any and all media now known or hereafter invented, as Sponsor sees fit, including on Sponsor's and/or its agent's websites including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, and for any other purposes and in connection with promotion, publicity, marketing and advertising for Sponsor, and in connection with its products and/or services, this Contest or other promotions by Sponsor, on a worldwide perpetual basis without any further attribution, notification or compensation to entrant; (b) that Sponsor, in Sponsor's sole discretion, may edit, adapt, composite, mix, remix, morph, scan, duplicate, alter and/or otherwise modify and commercially exploit any entry and component thereof, in whole or in part, without any restrictions as to changes, for publication, implementation, or for any other purpose which Sponsor deems necessary or desirable, including, without limitation, in future products, services, publicity and advertising for Sponsor's products and/or services; (c) that Sponsor shall have no obligation (express or implied) to use any of the entries in any manner and the corresponding entrants shall not be entitled to any damages or other relief by reason of Sponsor's use or non-use of any entry; (d) to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the Contest Judges; and (e) be contacted by Sponsor by mail, email, and/or telephone concerning this Contest. By entering the Contest, entrant agrees to and hereby does irrevocably assign and transfer to Sponsor any and all rights, title, and interest in and to the entry, including without limitation, all copyrights and any other protectable rights, and a waiver of all moral rights in the entry and its contents, and entrant agrees that the entry and its contents will automatically become the property of Sponsor, without any compensation to entrant. Winners consent to the use of their name, voice and/or likenesses by the Sponsor for advertising purposes without additional compensation unless otherwise prohibited by law. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost or misdirected mail or illegible information. All entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Winners are responsible for all federal, state, and local taxes not included above. By participating in the Contest, participants and winners release Sponsor and its parents, partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, agents, employees, advertising agencies, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and all others associated with the development and execution of the Contest from and against any and all liability with respect to or in any way arising directly or indirectly from the Contest and/or use of the prize, including, without limitation, liability for personal injury, damage or loss. This Contest is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.