Thank you for your interest in AAPA’s 2021 Elections. The application period has ended. Please check back on April 22 when the General Election, House Officer, Student Academy, and Nominating Work Group candidates will be announced. View the 2021 Elections timeline or click the links below for additional information.
Questions? Contact [email protected].
What is the House of Delegates?
The AAPA Bylaws, Article VI, Section 1 provide for the House of Delegates as follows:
Duties and Responsibilities. The Academy shall have a House of Delegates, which shall represent the interests of the membership. The House of Delegates shall exercise the sole authority on behalf of the Academy to enact policies establishing the collective values, philosophies, and principles of the PA profession. The House of Delegates may make recommendations to the Board for granting charters to Chapters and for granting official recognition to specialty organizations. The House of Delegates may make recommendations to the Board for the establishment of Academy commissions and work groups and shall establish such committees of the House of Delegates as necessary to fulfill its duties. The House of Delegates shall be entitled to vote on amendments to these Bylaws on behalf of the members in accordance with Article XIII of these Bylaws. The House of Delegates shall be solely responsible for establishing such rules of procedure, which are not inconsistent with these Bylaws, the Articles of Incorporation, or existing law, as may be necessary for carrying out the activities of the House (i.e. House of Delegates Standing Rules).
Open Positions, Terms, & Descriptions
There are three (3) House Officer positions with terms starting July 1, 2021:
- AAPA Vice President/Speaker of the House: one-year term
- Director/First Vice Speaker: one-year term
- Director/Second Vice Speaker: one-year term
House of Delegates Officers also serve on AAPA’s Board of Directors in addition to their duties in the House of Delegates. See the Board of Directors General Election information for additional duties/responsibilities.
In accordance with AAPA Board of Directors Manual, Section V:
With regard to the BOD, the vice president shall:
- Conduct the duties of the vice president as articulated in the AAPA Bylaws.
- Preside at BOD meetings in the absence of the president/BOD chair.
- Communicate to the BOD the views and interests of the HOD on matters under consideration by the BOD.
- Communicate to the BOD and record for AAPA’s records, all HOD actions.
- Provide consultation to the president in the appointment of BOD committee, work group or task force members and chairs. Provide consultation to the president in the appointment of AAPA commission, work group, task force members and chairs.
- Provide consultation to the president in the appointment of the Graduate Advisor to the AAPA Student Academy Board of Directors and the BOD Representatives to the Nominating Work Group (in the event the outgoing immediate past president refuses or resigns the position).
- Serve on the following BOD committees:
- Executive Committee
- Finance Committee
- Internal Affairs Committee or External Affairs Committee
- Executive Compensation Committee
- Communicate to the president those referrals and requests from the HOD that fall under the purview of the BOD or are joint responsibilities of the BOD and the HOD.
- Bring as action items to the BOD those Bylaws changes initiated by the HOD and those Bylaws changes initiated by the BOD and amended by the HOD.
- Perform other duties as requested by the president/chair.
In accordance with AAPA Bylaws, Article VI, Section 3:
Duties of House Officers.
- The Speaker shall preside at all meetings of the House of Delegates.
- The First Vice Speaker shall assume the duties of the Speaker in the event of the absence of the Speaker, or in the event of vacancy in the position of Speaker.
- The Second Vice Speaker will assume the duties of the First Vice Speaker in the absence of the First Vice Speaker, or in the event of vacancy in the position of First Vice Speaker.
- The Second Vice Speaker shall be responsible for verification of the credentials of the delegates, for compiling the records of all general meetings of the House of Delegates, and for submitting such records to the Secretary-Treasurer of the Academy for filing with the Academy’s books and records.
Eligibility and Qualifications
In accordance with the AAPA Bylaws, Article XIII, Section 3, candidates for House Officer positions must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- A candidate must be a fellow of AAPA.
- A candidate must be a member of an AAPA Chapter.
- A candidate must have been an AAPA fellow and/or student member for the last three years.
- A candidate must have accumulated at least three distinct years of experience in the past five years in at least two of the following major areas of professional involvement. This experience requirement will be waived for currently sitting AAPA Board members who choose to run for a subsequent term of office.
- An AAPA or constituent organization officer, board member, committee, council, commission, work group, task force chair.
- A delegate to the AAPA House of Delegates or a representative to the Student Academy of the American Academy of Physician Assistants Assembly of Representatives.
- A board member, trustee, or committee chair of the Student Academy of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, PA Foundation, Society for the Preservation of Physician Assistant History, American Academy of Physician Assistants Political Action Committee, Physician Assistant Education Association or National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
- AAPA Board appointee.
A candidate for House Officer must have been a seated delegate for a minimum of two years in the past five years. House Officer candidates must also be credentialed delegates to the 2021 HOD meeting.
2021 House of Delegates Election Timeline
|March 5||Candidate applications open|
|March 31||Deadline for candidate application submission|
|April 5-9||Candidate interviews conducted by the Nominating Work Group|
|April 22||Announcement of the 2021 HOD Election slate of candidates (endorsed and self-declared)|
|May 6||Date eligible voters (delegates) in the HOD Election need to be current fellow/student members and credentialed by|
|May 20 (afternoon)||Meet the Candidates Session for the HOD Election|
|May 21||Voting will be open from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET|
|May 22||Election results announced prior to HOD business|
|July 1||2021-2022 Leadership Year begins|
BOD/HOD Meetings Schedule
For planning purposes, candidates should be available for the following meetings:
|BOD Orientation & Summer Meeting||July 2021 TBD||Virtual|
|House Officers Meeting||July 2021 TBD||Virtual|
|Fall BOD Meeting||TBD||Virtual|
|Winter BOD Meeting||TBD||TBD|
|House Officers Meeting||March 2022 (specific dates TBD)||TBD|
|AAPA Conference BOD Meeting||May 19, 2022||Indianapolis, IN|
|House of Delegates Meeting||May 20-22, 2022||Indianapolis, IN|
As members of the Board, House Officers are also expected to participate in board and committee conference calls (dates TBD) throughout the leadership year.
Who is Eligible to Vote?
HOD delegates who have current fellow or student membership and are credentialed/voting delegates as of May 6 will be eligible to vote for House Officer candidates.