Responding to the Opioid Epidemic
The epidemic of overdoses and deaths from the abuse of prescription opioids has devastated countless families and communities. Preventing individuals from abusing and becoming dependent on opioids will save lives, preserve the health and vibrancy of communities. To combat the opioid crisis, AAPA provides several CMEs promoting the appropriate, safe, and effective use of opioids to manage chronic pain which affects many Americans.
At present there are too few addiction specialists to meet the growing demand for medication assisted treatment (MAT) programs. Since 2016, the Comprehensive Addiction Recovery Act (CARA) permits PAs to become waivered to prescribe buprenorphine for the treatment of opioid addiction. AAPA is an approved provider by CSAT/SAMHSA DATA 2000 training. Training of PAs in primary care in prescribing and managing patients on one of the drugs used in MAT will increase the availability of providers in the care of patients with an opioid use disorder.
Substance use, misuse, and abuse has become a leading public health topic in the U.S. Learn about some emerging drugs of misuse and their public health implications and earn free CME with Emerging Drugs of Misuse and their Public Health Implications
These CME activities are designed to provide enhanced PA education and safer prescription practices to effectively tackle the rise in opioid abuse.
- Emerging Drugs of Misuse and their Public Health Implications (AAPA)
- Pain Does Not Mean Pills (AAPA)
- Extending the Practice Environment for Treating Patients with Opioid and Alcohol Use Disorder (AAPA)
- 24-Hour Waiver Training: AAPA (American Society of Addiction Medicine/AAPA)
- CDC’s Guideline for Prescribing Opioids: Online Training Series for Healthcare Providers (CDC)
- Pathways to Safer Opioid Use (Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion)
- Building Pathways in Pain Management: Osteoarthritis and Chronic Low Back Pain Qstream Education
As the population ages and the prevalence of osteoarthritis and chronic low back pain rise, clinicians find themselves struggling to manage pain and restore function. Through this education, you’ll learn how to better treat your patients with these conditions. Qstream’s spaced education is a delivery method that sends you a question every few days related to the topic. Answer a question and review rationale and references related to the correct answer. You must sign up for an account to complete this education.
September | Pain Awareness Month
September 17-23 | Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week
How AAPA’s Online Community Helped Save My Patient’s Life–Huddle Provides Solution for Patient with Addiction