Founded in 1968, the American Academy of Physician Assistants is the national professional society for physician assistants. It represents a profession of more than 95,000 certified PAs across all medical and surgical specialties in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, the majority of the U.S. territories and the uniformed services.
AAPA advocates and educates on behalf of the profession and the patients PAs serve. We work to ensure the professional growth, personal excellence and recognition of physician assistants. We also enhance their ability to improve the quality, accessibility and cost-effectiveness of patient-centered healthcare.
AAPA's strategic plan
AAPA developed a strategic plan that expresses our purpose to lead the profession and help our members fulfill their commitment to the health, safety, welfare and dignity of all human beings.
Download AAPA's Strategic Plan (PDF).
PAs transforming health through patient-centered, team-based medical practice.
AAPA leads the profession and empowers our members to advance their careers and enhance patient health.
- Leadership and Service: We inspire a shared vision to lead the profession, emphasize service to our members and enhance the ability of PAs to serve patients and their communities.
- Unity and Teamwork: We embrace the strength of our members and constituent and partner organizations to speak with one voice for the profession and work together to transform health.
- Accountability and Transparency: We listen, deliver results, take ownership for our actions and operate in an environment of openness and trust.
- Excellence and Equity: We commit to the highest standards and seek to eliminate disparities and barriers to quality healthcare.
Our strategic commitments to the PA profession in partnership with our constituent organizations
- Foster PA Excellence: We will promote and facilitate PA excellence through integrated professional development and coordinated advocacy.
- Optimize PA Practice: We will identify, evaluate and promote best practice models that increase PA impact on health, maximize PA value and enhance PA satisfaction.
- Grow the PA Profession: We will work to elevate PA roles, recognition and respect, and support increasing the number and diversity of PAs.