The American Academy of Physician Assistants (formerly known as the American Association of Physician Assistants) was established and incorporated in the state of North Carolina in 1968. Initial membership was made up of the first students and graduates of the Duke University PA program, among which were former military corpsmen.
In 1973, 300 members strong, a joint national headquarters for AAPA and the Association of Physician Assistant Programs (now the Physician Assistant Education Association) was established in Washington, D.C. The headquarters moved to
Arlington, Va., in the late 1970s and to Old Town Alexandria, Va., in 1988. The
Academy moved to its current location in the Carlyle area of Alexandria in 2011.
Read about the milestones in AAPA’s history in relation to the history of the PA profession.
The Physician Assistant History Center details the history of the physician Assistant profession.
Want to have a say in the direction AAPA is taking going forward? Then be involved! We provide numerous opportunities to participate in leadership positions that become available throughout the year.
© Copyright American Academy of Physician Assistants - 2318 Mill Road, Suite 1300 - Alexandria, VA 22314 - p. 703.836.2272 f. 703.684.1924 -