The AAPA Board of Directors is the governing body responsible for the Academy's administrative and financial management.
AAPA Bylaws, Article VII, state that the AAPA Board of Directors
- establishes such Academy policies, grants such charters to chapters, recognizes such specialty physician assistant organizations, and establishes such Academy commissions or work groups as may be in the best interests of the Academy;
- appoints or removes the executive vice president pursuant to the affirmative vote of a two-thirds majority of the directors;
- directs the activities of the Academy's national office through the executive vice president;
- provides for the management of the affairs of the Academy in such a manner as may be necessary or advisable;
- establishes committees necessary for the performance of its duties;
- establishes regularly the review and update the Academy's management plan to attain the goals of the Academy;
- calls special meetings of the House of Delegates as provided under Article VI, Section 4;
- reports the activities of the Board of Directors for the preceding year to the House of Delegates and members at the Academy's Annual Conference;
- establishes the amount and timing of Academy membership dues and assessments.
AAPA Board of Directors
Board Meeting Agendas and Minutes
The Board of Directors is composed of 13 elected AAPA members who have formal quarterly meetings and periodic conference calls. Board members include the president, president-elect, immediate past president, secretary-treasurer, vice president/speaker of the House of Delegates, first vice speaker of the house, second vice speaker of the house, student representative and five directors-at-large. Their job descriptions can be found here.
Read 2014-15 Board of Directors candidate platforms and more to become an informed voter and remember to cast your vote when polls open on April 1.
General: AAPA fellows are eligible to run for a Board of Directors seat by being endorsed by the AAPA Nominating Work Group or by self-declaring for office. The candidate professional/platform data forms for candidates seeking Nominating Work Group endorsement and self-declared candidates for AAPA Board of Directors positions can be found here.
Each spring, AAPA fellows elect the Board of Directors from among the Nominating Work Group endorsed and self-declared candidates.
If you would like to nominate someone to run for the AAPA Board of Directors, please complete the nomination form found here. This need to be completed by October 15, so that the individual you nominate still has time to complete the online application.
The following dates relate to the elections process for the AAPA Board of Directors, the officers of the AAPA House of Delegates and the members of the AAPA Nominating Work Group.
Deadline to submit nominations for candidates for the AAPA Board of Directors to the Nominating Work Group
Application deadline for the AAPA Board of Directors
Nominating Work Group announces endorsed candidates and self-declared candidates
March - April
Candidate information appears on AAPA website
Deadline for fellows to join AAPA or renew their membership in order to receive an election ballot
|April 1 ||Polls open and Fellow members with an email address on file with the Academy receive a link to their electronic ballot and voting instructions|
Deadline for mail-in declaration or nomination for:
- House Officers
- First Vice Speaker
- Second Vice Speaker
- Nominating Work Group (Elections held during House of Delegates meeting at the annual conference)
|April 30 ||Polls close at 5:00 pm Eastern time|
|May 1 ||Election results announced|
AAPA Board of Directors
Lawrence Herman, MPA, PA-C, DFAAPA
Chair of the Board/Immediate Past President
James E. Delaney, PA-C
John McGinnity, MS, PA-C
Vice President/Speaker of the House of Delegates
L. Gail Curtis, MPAS, PA-C, DFAAPA
Winston Salem, N.C.
Josanne Pagel, MPAS, PA-C, Karuna RMT®
North Ridgeville, Ohio
First Vice Speaker
David I. Jackson, DHSc, PA-C, DFAAPA
Huntington Station, N.Y.
Second Vice Speaker
William T. Reynolds, MPAS, PA-C
Michael Clyde Doll, MPAS, PA-C, DFAAPA
Alan Bybee, MPA, PA-C
Jeffrey Katz, PA-C
Melinda Moore Gottschalk, PA-C
Diane Bruessow, PA-C, DFAAPA
Middle Village, N.Y.
Student Representative to the AAPA Board of Directors
Nick Rossi, PA-C
Invite an AAPA Board member to participate in your meeting or event. Complete the travel request form to submit your request today.
The AAPA Board of Directors publishes meeting minutes after every quarterly meeting.
The summary of actions taken by the AAPA Board of Directors are reported in the secretary's annual report to the AAPA House of Delegates.
Download the 2012 financial report. Download the 2013 financial report.